Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th


Let us never forget September 11th 2001 and all who gave their lives...

"Peace is a word
Of the sea and the wind.
Peace is a bird who sings
As you smile.
Peace is the love
Of a foe as a friend;
Peace is the love you bring
To a child

Searching for me
You look everywhere,
Except beside you.

Searching for you
You look everywhere,
But not inside you.
Peace is a stream
From the heart of a man;
Peace is a man, whose breadth
Is the dawn.
Peace is a dawn
On a day without end;
Peace is the end, like death
Of the war. "



















And on this day of 9/11, let us also never forget Chile and all those who were murdered needlessly as well in 1972, including one of my great loves, Victor Jara.

Victor Jara of Chile
Lived like a shooting star
He fought for the people of Chile
With his songs and his guitar
His hands were gentle, his hands were strong...
Victor Jara was a peasant
He worked from a few years old
He sat upon his father's plow
And watched the earth unfold...
His hands were gentle, his hands were strong
Now when the neighbors had a wedding
Or one of their children died
His mother sang all night for them
With Victor by her side...
His hands were gentle, his hands were strong
He grew up to be a fighter
Against the people's wrongs
He listened to their grief and joy
And turned them into songs...
His hands were gentle, his hands were strong
He sang about the copper miners
And those who worked the land
He sang about the factory workers
And they knew he was their man...
His hands were gentle, his hands were strong
He campaigned for Allende
Working night and day
He sang "Take hold of your brothers hand
You know the future begins today"...
His hands were gentle, his hands were strong
Then the generals seized Chile
They arrested Victor then
They caged him in a stadium
With five-thousand frightened men...
His hands were gentle, his hands were strong
Victor stood in the stadium
His voice was brave and strong
And he sang for his fellow prisoners
Till the guards cut short his song
His hands were gentle, his hands were strong...
They broke the bones in both his hands
They beat him on the head
They tore him with electric shocks
And then they shot him dead...
His hands were gentle, his hands were strong....






















"Cantó porque el sentimiento,
cantó porque la amistad,
cantó por la realidad,
cantó por el sufrimiento,
cantó porque su talento
en la música desgarra
cantó porque las amarras
se soltarán de la gente,
se le oyó decir ausente
cantó porque la guitarra...
Yo no canto por cantar
ni por tener buena voz,
canto porque la guitarra
tiene sentido y razón."

Translation:
"I sing because the feeling,
I sing because the friendship,
I sing by the reality,
I sing by the suffering,
I sing because its talent
in music tears
I sing because the mooring cables
will loosen of people,
it was heard say absentee to him
I sing because the guitar...
I do not sing singing
nor have a good voice,
I sing because the guitar
has sense and reason...."

I sing also with you today Victor.. siempre..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>